Monday, July 19, 2010

How to Look for Stuff

1. Walk around in a circle for a while chatting with your brothers about something on tv. When asked, refer to this process as "looking for it."

2. Look in bizarre places that items like your piano books would never be, my closet or my bathtub, perhaps.

3. Quiz your 4 year old brother repeatedly on the whereabouts of the item. Grow frustrated that he can't tell you where he was 8 days ago when it went missing and whether or not he moved anything.

4. Suggest to Mom that the item is unfindable because you think it was left in another state, or in dad's car that he took to work or anywhere that means that you would no longer have to be responsible for searching the house for it.

5. Walk through the middle of all the rooms in the house and walk in circles predominantly in one room that has interesting things in it (the tv, other people, music) and tell Mom, "I looked EVERYWHERE!!"

6. Whenever no one is looking, stop searching and sit down and do nothing or try to return to tv or your video games. When you get caught say, "Oh yeah, I forgot we were looking...." or "I did look. I was done. I couldn't find it."


We've discovered that one of the worst punishments you can give Connor is to tell him to look for something until it's found. You never saw a boy so miserable as Connor who has to look for something. He cries and complains and wheedles. It's really something to see.

3 comments:

  1. That's exactly how Emmett looks for things, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to have found your blog. And I can so relate to this post. sounds very much like how Tim and Seth look for things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha! Dawn, have you been watching The Middle? SOOOO great for kids like ours. I know your family is a lot like mine with some that are very suave and socially graceful and others that can be quirky. You can watch the episodes here:

    http://www.reeltvlinks.com/The-Middle#watch

    It makes me feel better about my family.

    ReplyDelete