Monday, July 12, 2010

Health Update

I've got an irritation under my skin, a reaction from needing the IV for so long. Last week they thought it was cellulitis, but now they see that it's phlebitis.

They've moved me to a stronger antibiotic and I need to apply heat. If it's not better by tomorrow afternoon, then I need to go get an ultrasound on my arm to make sure that there are not blood clots in the deep veins, which is more serious. We will hope for a stroke of normalcy and the antibiotics will do what they ought overnight.

The doctor said that the antibiotics should work within 24 hours. But, Walmart won't have the prescription ready until 7pm tonight and the ultrasound is scheduled for 1pm tomorrow and would need to be canceled by noon if I don't need it. So, probably I'll end up having to go for the ultrasound either way just because the medicine perhaps did not get enough time to work. But, the deep vein condition can be serious so they don't want to dawdle around about it.

The good news is that, oddly, for THIS condition, my doctor, who NEVER will give me anything for pain, offered me Loritab for pain. Maybe it's because this ailment is visible? Not like headaches or back pain? Maybe because it's temporary? Maybe she just decided to trust me out of nowhere? The good thing is that I was able to turn her down because I already have some Loritab from my miscarriage. Maybe this will give me credibility for the next time I have pain.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the medicine works!! good luck!! we missed you yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete