Saturday, September 25, 2010

The One in Which I Outline Visiting Teaching Appointments



Probably the rest of you act normally when friends show up at your home to visit. For me, when people come over to see me and talk to me, I get so excited about it, I act like a lonely dog who's been tied up in the yard too long.


Here's how visits go:



MY VISITING TEACHERS: *Inquiry about my well being*

ME: *lengthy complaint about non-interesting symptoms*

MY VISITING TEACHERS: *Considerate expression of concern*

ME: *gratitude followed by more complaining and a story not relating to anything*

MY VISITING TEACHERS: *appreciative laughter and kind compliment*

ME: *more senseless prattle*

MY VISITING TEACHERS: *continued patience*

ME: *at least one more story not relating to anything.*

MY VISITING TEACHERS: "It's been so fun talking with you. We also brought you an uplifting message we'd like to share..."

ME: "Yippee!"

MY VISITING TEACHERS: *spiritual message accompanied by thoughtful insight and personal application.*

ME: "Yippee!" *launch into another story not relating to anything....*

MY VISITING TEACHERS: [90 minutes later] "Again, it's been so fun visiting with you."

ME: *obliviousness to their attempts to leave*

MY VISITING TEACHERS: "So, thanks again for letting us come by...."

ME: *lengthy goodbye at the door, further prolonging the agony of their attempts to escape....*



My visiting teachers are good people.


The pic at the top is from a site full of WWII posters [http://www.usmm.org/]. I had to post some of these other funny ones I considered:








No comments:

Post a Comment