Monday, June 8, 2009

getting family photos and other daytime dramas

I found a photographer on ksl.com who says she does family photos for free to get practice for her business. I contacted her and it's not really *free* -- the sitting is free and it's $40 a CD with all the prints, but no obligation to purchase.

We went out on Saturday and got some really great photos, but she had the white balance off on her camera and all the pictures have weird blue/green color to them. Trish says they all look like 1974 Fuji film. :) Also, Dennis says she doesn't use any depth of field so the pictures are flat instead of having the people stand out from the background.


I hoped she might at least let me purchase some of the pictures at a discount to post on facebook even though they aren't suitable for printing, but she was only interested in offering a measly 25% discount for basically ruined pictures. And, she kept insisting that there was a problem with the shade from the trees that was causing the color to be off and couldn't seem to accept that that is a completely illogical conclusion. 1) we took pictures in the full shade, in the full sun, in partial shade, in 6 different spots and facing 5 different directions -- it doesn't make SENSE that they all were affected by "the shade from the trees" and 2) she took pictures of her son in the same spots on a different day and the color on all of them is fine.

She tried to cover up her mistake by saying, "Well, they look decent on the old time color, which is what I prefer anyway..." She didn't initally offer ANY discount -- I had to ask her if she'd take $10 for the CD of ruined pictures. I think she's being a pill about it. It's a shame too because I had her link on my facebook page and had already recommended her to some friends before she started being weird and had to go back and let people know, "Look only use this photographer if you're okay with wasting your time if the pictures don't turn out."

I did end up with 4 of the weird color pictures that she sent me as samples. Oh well. Lyndee will take new pictures this week and get it right. Yeah Lyndee!

No comments:

Post a Comment